One of my best pieces of advice for those who are busy but want to eat healthy or for people who want to lose weight, is to prepare your meals ahead of time. I make my meals for the week on Monday nights.
This is what I came up with for this week. This spiced, sweet, and crunchy little bowl contains turmeric and cumin spiced chicken, wild rice, broccolini, sweet potatoes, carrots, pea shoots, and pomegranate seeds. It is quite a great combination of foods. You can also make it vegan or vegetarian by substituting tofu or chickpeas for the chicken.
Spiced Chicken with Wild Rice & Veggies Bowl
Adapted from: Love and Lemons
- 1 lb of chicken breast or tenders, cubed (preferably free-range; omit if vegan/vegetarian & use chickpeas)
- 1 cup wild rice
- 2 sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 2 cups broccolini, roughly chopped
- 1 cup pomegranate arils
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp of gomacio or sesame seeds
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- soy sauce or coconut aminos
- pea shoots
- Cook wild rice as instructed on the package.
- While rice is cooking, dice chicken, season with salt and pepper, and cook in large skillet over medium-high heat in 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- After about 5 minutes, add cumin, turmeric, and cayenne pepper.
- Cook chicken all the way through and remove from skillet with slotted spoon. Add cubed sweet potatoes and cook until tender. (You may have to add 1 more tbsp of olive oil.)
- Add broccolini and carrots to skillet, season with salt, pepper, & sesame seeds and cook until tender.
- When all ingredients are cooked, add all cooked ingredients to a large bowl with a handful pomegranate and pea shoots. You might want to add soy sauce or coconut aminos to your rice.