Joy the Baker is one of my favorite bakers in the world. You can trust that all of her recipes are going to be completely delicious. Unfortunately, she is not gluten-free or vegan, so sometimes I have to make adjustments. (I am not technically vegan, but I am allergic to eggs and partially to dairy, so some of my recipes are.)
I have already made these scones twice, and everyone I have shared them with has loved them. Even my skeptical gluten-free eaters loved these scones. They are sweet, but not too sweet, fluffy, soft, and nutty in flavor.
Another thing I love about these scones is that they are incredibly simple to make. If you are debating between these and pancakes this weekend, go with these. They are just as simple and are a good change from pancakes or muffins. They are also quite healthy, with only 1/3 cup of sugar for the entire recipe. I also used coconut cream instead of buttermilk, so you get healthy fats in there too.
Go ahead and make these already!
Strawberry Cream Scones
Adapted from: Joy the Baker
- 1 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1 1/4 cup gluten-free all purpose flour (I used Jules)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar (or granulated)
- 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup of coconut cream** plus more for brushing the top or for whipped cream
- 3/4 cup of coarsely chopped strawberries
- Turbinado, granulated, or brown sugar for topping
- Place baking rack in upper third of oven and preheat to 425 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- In liquid measuring cup, mix vanilla extract and coconut cream.
- Drizzle cream into flour mixture and slowly toss ingredients together until incorporated but still slightly dry.
- Add strawberries and continue gently tossing until cohesive, but not overly sticky.
- Dump the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead dough to 3/4 inch thick.
- Use a small biscuit cutter or small glass lightly floured to cut 1 1/4 inch circles from the dough.
- Brush each circle with coconut cream and sprinkle a generous amount of turbinado sugar on top.
- Place 1 inch apart on baking sheet and bake for 11-13 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve warm with chilled coconut cream on top.